CLOSELY HELD + FAMILY BUSINESS
As if a profession isn’t demanding enough, it’s also a business, with all the added demands that implies: ownership and compensation structures, payrolls and retirement plans, tax compliance, internal and external reporting, and budgeting and cash management.
If that sounds like too much for anyone to take on alone, that’s probably because it is.
We can help. Practicing professionals ourselves, we leverage our own experiences—and the expertise we've developed over decades of supporting other clients in the professional services sector—to provide an integrated, year-round suite of services for professional firms and their professionals and executives.
Perhaps you're looking for creative ways to integrate the professionals from a newly acquired practice—one with a radically different fee structure—into your compensation plan.
Or you're considering a new location or a new lease and need advice on the implications for your firm's compensation plans, including how best to match the cost of the space to your agreement for income-sharing. And if you're subletting space, is there a way you can structure the deal to minimize the B&O tax you'll pay?
Maybe it's a deferred compensation issue: You're terminating your firm's defined benefit plan and need a new approach or an entirely new plan for payments to retiring or retired professionals. Or you just need to bring the audit or review or tax return in on schedule and on budget.
Whatever your needs, at Bader Martin you're supported by experienced professionals who know the issues you face and who bring insight and personal experience to help you succeed.
Our clients include law firms, management consultants, technology consultants, medical and dental practices, architectural and engineering firms, and HR consultants and employment advisors.
Professional Practice Services
As a client of our professional practices group, you'll benefit from services in the following categories:
Advisory Services for Professional Firms
- Compensation and fringe benefits consulting and modeling, including partnership agreements, compensation plans, and new- and retiring-partner or shareholder issues
- Profit allocation consulting, including review of operating agreements
- Retirement planning
- Choice-of-entity consulting to minimize tax consequences and personal liability, and maximize personal compensation
- Expenditure planning, including budgeting and cash flow analysis, lease/buy consulting, major transactions planning
- Real estate consulting, including lease analysis and cost segregation studies
- Risk management, including insurance planning
- Governance consulting
Capitalization and Financing
- Equity structuring and classes of equity
- Debt versus equity decisions
- Loan negotiations, loan reviews and analysis of loan alternatives
- Fixed assets financing, including lease versus purchase decisions
Succession Planning, Exit Planning and Transitions
- Goal setting and evaluation of alternatives, including consideration of familial and cultural issues
- Succession planning and owner retirement, including capital payouts and buy-ins
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions
- Buy/sell agreements
- Liquidity analysis
- Recapitalization and reorganization consulting
- Negotiations and implementation assistance
- Due diligence
Tax Compliance and Consulting
- Representation in connection with IRS and state and local tax examinations
- Tax minimization strategies that encompass both income and self-employment taxes, as well as estimated tax planning and retirement plan structuring
- Consulting with regard to the tax implications of investment strategies
Accounting and Assurance
- Financial statement audits, reviews and compilations
- Accounting and bookkeeping services, including data entry and troubleshooting
- Online accounting for QuickBooks® and Peachtree® systems
- Training on accounting-related topics
- Forensic accounting and fraud audits
- Internal control studies
Advisory Services for the Firm's Professionals and Executives
- Wealth planning, including retirement planning, portfolio and investment monitoring, real estate transactions and education funding
- Estate planning
- Charitable giving and private foundations
- Financial reporting, including personal and family financial statements
- Asset protection, including personal liability protection, disability and health care planning, divorce consulting and pre- and post-nuptial agreements, bankruptcy consulting