CLOSELY HELD + family BUSINESS
You probably started with an insanely great idea. And if you're like most entrepreneurs, that was the easy part.
Whether you're in the software or hardware technology space, biotech, medical technology or life sciences, translating an idea into a successful business for the long term takes more. In fact, a surprising number of businesses actually fail from success. They simply grow faster than their infrastructures or finances are ready to support. Others struggle with business or financial issues that artificially limit their potential.
It helps to have a trusted advisor who understands the challenges and opportunities you face every day—in financing, budgeting and cash management, financial and tax reporting, internal controls, mergers and acquisitions, profitability enhancement, exit planning and governance, to name just a few.
Maybe you're contemplating changes to your compensation or stock option plan, and you're concerned about the potential impact on your finances, taxes and officers and employees. Or you have questions on the tax deductions and R&D credits available for your new product development project.
Perhaps a recent news story has you reconsidering your own disaster recovery plans or data security measures. Or you'd like someone to clarify the rules for capitalizing an internal software development project.
And sometimes, you just need an experienced sounding board who's been through it all before, including raising venture and private-equity capital and even taking a company public.
With Bader Martin, you're supported by professionals who have actually been in your shoes, as senior executives in dynamic technology-based businesses—and who bring insight and a been-there-done-that understanding to their collaboration with you.
The leaders of our technology practice are experienced CPAs with proven track records in public accounting and private industry, including an average of 11 years with national CPA firms. They offer a savvy, independent perspective combined with an insider's knowledge and experience.
As a client of our technology practice group, you'll benefit from services in the following categories:
Advisory Services for Technology Companies
- Business structuring and choice-of-entity consulting
- Partnership and LLC agreements and joint ventures
- Cash flow modeling, forecasting and budgeting
- Break-even analysis
- Compensation planning
- Transaction planning for purchases and sales, deal structuring and due diligence
- Governance consulting
Capitalization and Financing
- Debt versus equity decisions
- Equity structuring, including classes of equity, preferences and other terms
- Loan negotiations, loan reviews and analysis of loan alternatives
- Lease versus purchase decisions
Succession Planning, Exit Planning and Transitions
- Goal setting and evaluation of alternatives, including consideration of familial and cultural issues
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions
- Buy/sell agreements
- Liquidity analysis
- Compensation planning
- Insurance planning
- Recapitalization and reorganization consulting
- Negotiations and implementation assistance
- Prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Due diligence
Tax Compliance and Consulting
- Tax return preparation for federal, state and multi-state, local and international jurisdictions
- Payroll tax returns
- Tax and transactions planning
- Tax credits, including research and development
- Cash versus accrual considerations
- Year-end selection and planning
- Passive activity rules
Accounting and Assurance Services
- Financial statements: audits, reviews and compilations
- Accounting and bookkeeping services
- Analysis and enhancement of internal controls
- Financial analysis and modeling
- Budgeting and cash flow analysis
- Chart of accounts consulting
- Development/enhancement of internal and external reporting processes
- Revenue and cost recognition
- Forensic accounting and fraud audits
- Staff training
Advisory Services for Entrepreneurs and Executives
- Wealth planning, including retirement planning, portfolio and investment monitoring, education funding
- Estate planning
- Charitable giving and private foundations
- Expenditure planning, including budgeting and cash flow analysis, lease/buy consulting, major transactions planning
- Financial reporting, including personal and family financial statements
- Asset protection, including personal liability protection, disability and health care planning, divorce consulting and pre- and post-nuptial agreements, bankruptcy consulting